Tell A Friend About This ArticleBicarbonate of soda or baking soda has many different uses in the household. Although much more expensive products have been developed over the years, baking soda can work for you just as well, if not better. Use it in the following ways:-
- Give baby bottles a good cleaning with soda and hot water.
- Sprinkle soda on barbecue grills, let soak, then rinse off.
- Sprinkle soda on greasy garage floor. Let stand, scrub and rinse.
- Polish silverware with dry soda on a damp cloth. Rub, rinse and dry.
- For silver pieces without raised patterns or cemented-on handles: place the silver on aluminum foil in an enamel pot. Add boiling water and 4 tbsp. baking soda. Let stand, rinse and dry.
- Reduce odor build-up in your dishwasher by sprinkling some soda on the bottom.
- Run your dishwasher through its cycle with soda in it instead of soap to give it a good cleaning.
- To remove burned-on food from a pan: let the pan soak in soda and water for 10 minutes before washing. Or scrub the pot with dry soda and a moist scouring pad.
- For a badly-burned pan with a thick layer of burned-on food: pour a thick layer of soda directly onto the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on just enough water so as to moisten the soda. Leave the pot overnight, then scrub it clean next day.
- Rub stainless steel and chrome with a moist cloth and dry baking soda to shine it up. Rinse and dry. On stainless steel, scrub in the direction of the grain.
- Clean plastic, porcelain and glass with dry soda on a damp cloth. Rinse and dry.
- Remove that bad smell from ashtrays with soda and water.
- Sprinkle a bit of dry soda in your ashtrays to prevent smoldering and reduce odor.
- Clean your bathroom with dry soda on a moist sponge – sink, tub, tiles, shower stall, etc.
- Keep your drains clean and free-flowing by putting 4 tablespoons of soda in them each week. Flush the soda down with hot water.
- Soak your shower curtains in water and soda to clean them.
- To remove strong odors from your hands, wet your hands and rub them hard with soda, then rinse.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your wet toothbrush and brush your teeth and dentures with it.
- Sprinkle soda in tennis shoes, socks, boots and slippers to eliminate odor.
You may also be interested in...
Filed under: Home Cleaning Tips