Key limes are smaller, rounder than other limes. And the coloring is more yellow than green. Bottled key lime juices, such as Nellie & Joe’s, is fine to use if fresh fruit is unavailable.
Lime Key Pie makes: 8 servings.
Lime Key Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 4 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Lime Key Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 24 ounces of condensed milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 6 ounces of key lime juice or bottled key lime juice
Lime Key Pie Whipped cream:
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup ultra pasteurized heavy cream
Lime Key Pie Garnishes Ingredients:
- Assorted fresh berries
- Finely chopped pecan crumbs
Lime Key Pie Equipment list
- Mixing bowls
- Pie plate
- Electric mixer
- Food processor for chopping nuts
- Serving plates
Lime Key Pie How to Make It
- To make the lime key pie crust, place graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter in bowl and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Press into 9-inch pie tin. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 F. Set aside to cool while preparing the filling.
- For the lime key pie filling, pour condensed milk in stainless steel bowl, whisk in egg yolks and key lime juice. Pour into shell. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until edge of the pie is light brown. Set aside until cool to the touch and chill in refrigerator overnight.
- For the whipped topping, whisk all ingredients together until stiff peaks form. Now spread the topping over the cooled pie. Press pecan crumbs into the whipped cream surface around the edge of the pie.
- To serve, garnish the lime key pie with fresh fruit, a piece of chocolate and additional whipped cream.